Pediatric occupational therapy is a specialized field that focuses on helping children develop the necessary skills to participate in everyday activities and reach their full potential. Our occupational therapists work closely with children and their families to address challenges related to physical, cognitive, sensory, and social-emotional development. Through a play-based and individualized approach, we aim to enhance a child’s ability to participate in the tasks that they need and desire to do such as feeding, writing, and playing independently. Our therapy sessions are designed to be engaging and fun, promoting skill acquisition, confidence, and self-esteem. Whether your child is experiencing difficulties in school, struggles with sensory processing, or has developmental delays, our skilled therapists are here to provide compassionate care and support their journey towards success.
Who could benefit from Occupational Therapy
$250.00 intake session / $140, 50-60 minute session
We also accept insurance depending on diagnosable code.
Your child shows repeat resistance, gets overwhelmed or has frequent meltdowns in any of these situations:
- Small changes in routines.
- “Busy” environments ( Walmart, church, etc.).
- Wearing certain clothing and or textures.
- Getting their hair wet.
You notice any of the following behaviors:
- Never stops moving ( always crashes into things).
- Impulsive and lacks safety awareness.
- Eats ten or less foods.
- Requires food to be presented in a certain way.
- Eats or chews non food objects ( over the age of two).
- Does not seem to play appropriately with toys ( lining up, destroying, no independent play, lacking imaginary play).
- Lacks boundaries and personal space awareness.
- Loss of interest in movement/ outdoor play.
Your child has any of these academic struggles:
- Trouble with handwriting.
- Learning shapes, letters, colors, and numbers.
- Difficulty with organization and time management.
- Has a 504/ IEP and still needs more support.
- Unsure if your child is left or right handed.
- Frequently breaks crayons/ pencils when coloring/ drawing
- They have trouble with play and friends in the classroom
- Difficulty using scissors.
You are a parent looking for support.
- Just received a formal diagnosis and you need guidance.
- Your child has ADHD you are looking for non-medication strategies
- You are a new parent looking to be proactive or wanting evidence-based parenting strategies.
- You are helping to improve your child’s behaviors without medications.
You are having these concerns about your baby:
- Behind on their milestones ( rolling, crawling, sitting, walking).
- Gets very upset during tummy time.
- Difficulty weaning from a bottle.
- Having a hard time transitioning to solid foods.
What are the conditions or challenges occupational therapists work with?
Autism Spectrum Disorder, Down’s Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, ADHD, Developmental Delays, Torticollis, Brachial Plexus injuries, Sensory Processing Disorder, handwriting difficulties, balance, strengthening, picky eating, social skills, emotional regulation, and much more!
What does a typical occupational therapy session involve?
Although every appointment is unique for the child/adolescent’s needs. Our therapist typically provides once a week therapy lasting from 50-60 minutes focused on a play-based/interest-based approach to achieve the highest level of engagement.
Can occupational therapy help my child with fine motor skills and handwriting?
Occupational therapists specialize in helping with fine motor skills and handwriting. We address the root cause of handwriting challenges that often do not have to do with the actual task of writing. Handwriting can be difficult, but we are experts at turning difficult tasks into fun ones.
How long will my child need to participate in occupational therapy?
Occupational Therapy duration varies for each child/adolescent. We create adaptable goals with the thought in mind that children and their family are dynamic and have ever changing needs.
How can I be involved in my child's occupational therapy sessions?
We find it incredibly valuable to have parents participate in monthly parent coaching appointments. This allows the parent to have long form conversations with their child/adolescent’s therapist to create meaningful collaboration and strong carry-over at home.
What strategies or activities can I incorporate at home to support my child's progress?
Our therapists understand that each family’s home life is unique. As our therapists get to know you and your child, tailored plans will be created to best suit your family’s lifestyle.
Getting Started is Easy
Free 15 Min Chat
If you would like to connect with one of our therapists, we encourage you to schedule a free 15 minute consultation.
We are currently offering all of our services both in-person with COVID protocols in place and online through our secure telehealth platform.
Visit us in person or online. We can’t wait to meet you and help you get started on your mental health journey.
What forms of payment do you Accept?
Therapy services can be paid for by credit card, debit card, or HSA card.
We do accept insurance for billable services: Blue Cross Blue Shield, Medcost, United Health Care, and Aetna.
Educational services/ workshops are cash only and can be paid through venmo, stripe, cash or check.
Payment is expected at the time of service.
How do I know therapy is right for me?
Therapy can be a helpful resource for anyone. Here at Whole Family Therapy we offer a free 15-20 minute consultation with the therapist to see if they would be the right fit for you.
How do I find the office?
Our office is located at 133 Church Street, Asheville, NC 28801. Follow the signs that say Whole Family Therapy and park in the gravel driveway on the left side of the building. The entrance to the building is next to two outdoor tables with an umbrella. There are two waiting rooms in the building where you can wait for your therapist to come and greet you.
What happens if I cancel my session?
If you cancel more than 24 hours before your session there is no charge. Please call your therapist or the office directly to cancel or reschedule. If you reschedule for the same week, no fee with be charged. All cancellations within the 24 hour period will be charged the full self pay rate of $140.00
Do you take my insurance?
We accept a range of insurance depending on the clinician. We are not a Medicaid provider and do not accept any subsidiaries of Medicaid.
Out of Network: We will gladly supply you with a Super Bill that you can submit to your insurance if we are out of your network. Please first check with your insurance company that they will pay out of network for Mental Health Services.
- Lainey Gosnell is in network with BCBS, medcost, Crescent and Aetna.
- Jeffie Cilano is in network with Medcost, BCBS, and Aetna.
- Sharon Collins is in network with Medcost, Crescent, BCBS, United/Optum and Aetna.
- Hannah Hale is in network with Medcost, Crescent, BCBS, Aetna, and United/ Optum.
- Margo Murphy is in network with BCBS, Medcost, Crescent, and Aetna.
- Claire Whigham is in network with BCBS, Medcost, Crescent and Aetna.
- Julia Judice is in network with BCBS, Medcost, United/ Optum, Crescent , and Aetna.
- Zoe Reddig is in network with BCBS, Medcost, Crescent, and Aetna.
- Steven Kempler is in network with BCBS, Medcost, United/Optum and Aetna.
- Dana DeChiaro is in network with BCBS, Aetna, and Medcost.
- Lindsey Lopez-Ibanez is in network with BCBS, Medcost, Crescent and Aetna.
How do we get support as parents?
Parent Consultation for families whose children are participating in Individual Therapy with Whole Family Therapy, engaging parents in the treatment process and collaboratively developing strategies to support the growth and healing of their children.
We also offer Parent Coaching for families seeking an individualized experience that allows parents to explore the unique values, strengths, experiences, and challenges within their own family system, and develop parenting strategies that address the specific needs of the children and promote healthy relationships among family members.
We also offer a monthly Parenting Workshop that includes brain-based and attachment-based strategies for parents to develop the meaningful connections and nurturing conditions that promote the growth and development of their children.
Sign up for a 15 minute consultation and let us explore how we can support you and your family to get to that place where you are thriving.
How to get started.
Click the link below to schedule a free fifteen minute phone consultation in order to get connected with one of our services. Payments accepted: We accept Self pay and the following insurances: Medcost, Aetna, BCBS, and Optum/ United. We are not a Medicaid provider and do not accept any subsidiaries of Medcaid.